Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Second Life Viewer 2.0

This morning I decided to check out the new Second Life Viewer 2.0 Beta with my new account, Entrepreneur Mistwood. Here is what I experienced with it this far.

If the goal of the new 2.0 SL viewer was to make the SL experience easier to navigate then I have to say that it has failed terribly in that goal. Everything that the usual viewer does that is so familiar to long time users of Second Life has been mixed around into an almost completely alien structure to accommodate the "browser-like" look and feel of the new version.

Among my complaints with this new viewer so far include the following:
* No FLY button
* No MUSIC CONTROLS (the only way I've found to turn off music is to disable the streaming music or mute all sound entirely)
* MAPS are difficult to find (Only accessible through the "World" drop-down menu at the top of the interface, as far as I can see.)
* SEARCH has been re-named back to FIND (a real throw-back there! circa 2005)

Admittedly some of these complaints are due to the unfamiliarity of the new interface and I may simply not be seeing the complete functionality of this viewer yet. I will say however, that it will definitely take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment